Thursday, June 28, 2007

Now there's a thought.....

I was catching up on Portia P's blog the other day and my attention was drawn by her post on a hormone called DHEA which can help women have a better chance of increased egg production during IVF.

Well as you know my IVF#1 produced a pathetic egg haul of only 4 so I thought I would look into the possibility of trying DHEA.

I emailed Mr A's secretary and asked if he had heard of it. She called me back and said he had written a paper on DHEA and some of his patients are actually using it......surprised and slightly hopeful was my reaction.

So, she's got a meeting with him tonight and she's going to ask if he recommends that I get some. I believe it takes a few months to kick in, so won't make a difference to IVF#2 but if the treatment fails then it might have had time to be in my system by IVF#3. Hey I'll stand on my head in the middle of the motorway if it means it works, so I've nothing to lose.

So thanks Portia....lets see what he says.

15 comments:

Kate said...

I hope it gives you that extra boost you need!

Erin said...

Thanks so much for posting this! I'm taking it as well, and although I haven't had a chance to see if it's working, I have been reading good things.

ultimatejourney said...

Wow, very cool that you found potentially helpful information. I can't wait to hear what the doctor says.

Yetty said...

thanks girl this is good info. If its available over the counter, I'm gonna get me some as soon as I can

One View said...

I've never heard of the drug but thats great to find anything that can help you.. :) Let us know what the Dr. says and hopefully you won't need it because IVF#2 will work. Good luck with you. When are you starting again?

Sarah said...

awesome, i hope it helps. then again, i hope you're pregnant before you have a chance to find out!!

Anonymous said...

From what I have read, it seems to be good stuff. I am going to ask my RE about it next week.

Mama Bear said...

That's really interesting! Keep us posted on what the doctor says (although I hope that this will be a moot point because IVF#2 works for you).

JJ said...

Oh that is exciting news! Looking forward to what the dr. says--I wonder if he took it into consideration when your bloodwork came back?

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I've never heard of it. I hope that it helps though!

Schatzi said...

Hmmmmm. Interesting. sounds promising. I will be interested in hearing what the RE says.

Changing Expectations said...

Interesting. I have not heard of this before. I hope that you will have the BFP and not need it!

Baby Blues said...

I hope it helps. But I also hope you wouldn't have to wait for IVF #3.

Carrie said...

That sounds just the ticket. Please keep us informed of the info you get from your doctor. Would be most appreciated.

Of course it'll be even better if its not necessary. But you know that ;-)

Portia P said...

So glad I've been of help!

There's a specific type you need - one of my Mind Body buddies did the research. If you do decide to go for it then e mail me and i'll e mail you the links to the info i've got.

xx