Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Plan B

I know I should have posted a few days ago about the consultant follow up appointment, but I've had other things on my mind and I've been able to get some of my life back which really has been the silver lining to the bad news.

Anyway onto Plan B. Mr A said we really looking at an egg quality issue so its good that we've nothing to worry about when it comes to my Other Half. I asked him a million and one questions but he really said he can't draw any proper conclusion from one cycle. He said there's still hope, so we're going to try again. I have already started my breakthrough bleed (whooahh she's a bad one), so if I have a 28 day cycle (which I normally do) then day 1 would be around 1st July and then down regulating starts approx 21st July, which clashes nicely with our holidays (never mind).

He is also pulling out the big guns now. I am going to be on the maximum dose possible of Menopur, I think he thinks that there's more chance of me winning the lottery than overstimulating! Its a bit scary to be on the maximum, but if it works then it's fine with me.

The other thing he specifically mentioned was my thyroxine levels. My regular doctor increased my dose a few weeks ago and Mr A definitely thinks that if my thyroid function was not balanced then it could have affected my treatment. So I am going for a blood test this afternoon to see what its like now. Mr A says it has to be balanced before starting again, so I live in hope that little things like this may make the difference next time.

Not a lot else going on, met up with my old friend 'red red wine' at the weekend and think I spent a little bit too much time in her company, but I guess I was overdue a blow out.

Also booked a holiday to Crete for a week, we go the day after we get back from a 4 day trip to St Petersburg, Russia, so it is going to be a busy July, and treatment will be upon me again before I know it.

14 comments:

Leah said...

I'm glad you've got a plan and are moving forward. As you know, I'm no stranger to MAX doses of meds, so if you have any questions or need some support, just let me know.

Your upcoming vacations sound lovely, I'm jealous!

Von said...

Acupuncture really helps balance the system and may be worth a go to help with your thyroid function.
Good on you for having another go again. You seem quite positive about it so now is a good time. You'll be even more after your lovely hols.

JJ said...

Glad there is a plan in place--I know that can help set my mind at ease! I hope that now that you all know more, that this next cycle will be a breeze!
I love my friend wine!=) Glad you enjoyed some (or lots!)

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

It's good that they are going to be bringing out the big guns. Hopefully that will give you a much better response this time around.

So jealous of the trip to Crete...

ultimatejourney said...

No worries -- we all need to get our lives back from IF when we can. It sounds like your doctor has a lot of ideas on how to get better results next cycle. I'm very hopeful for you!

underdog said...

sounds like a good plan. hopefully the holidays will also give you some peace. I'm sending big hopes across the ocean to you. RaJen

Mama Bear said...

Sounds like you've got a good plan in place. Although, I'm sorry the plan will interfere with the holidays. (Isn't that always the way?)

And, I'm so looking forward to joining my friend red wine while I'm on BCPs!

Also--I am still off the caffeine. Thanks to you guys! I very seriously wouldn't have fallen off the wagon if not for watching you give it up for good! Thanks for the motivation. :-)

thinking of you!

Carrie said...

You're certainly allowed a blow out. No two ways about it.

As for the Menopur, I think it's great that you're going to go up to the max dose. Sounds like your Doc knows what he's doing. I think the first cycle is always a little experimental.

A busy July sounds really good. The next cycle will surely fly round if you're both havind a little rest and recovery in the meantime.

Changing Expectations said...

I am glad to hear that you have a plan. I am very excited for your next cycle and hope that everything works accordingly. Wow, you have some great vacations coming up - I'm super jealous. Have a great time.

Anonymous said...

I was on a really high dose of menopur and the only bad part about it was mixing all of the little vials. I didn't have to worry about overstimulation, so it wasn't an issue. Plan B sounds good!

Sarah said...

sounds like a good plan. i don't think being on the max doses is something to be worried about as long as you're being closely monitored. good luck!

One View said...

I'm so glad you were able to get some clarity with your Dr. and have a plan. I always felt better after seeing my RE. Your Dr. sounds hopeful and I think that's great he is willing to be more aggressive and make some changes to find you success. Your vacations sounds great and glad you are getting away. You deserve it and I'm sure you'll have a great time and its always good to be busy so you aren't waiting around for the next cycle.

Tam said...

It always helps me to have a plan, somehow it just makes me feel better.

I am glad that you have a plan and are feeling good. Time will fly by now, you'll see, before you know it you'll be in the midst of those lovely injections again!!

Hope they can regulate everything soon for you...

Laura, the (reluctant) baroness said...

So happy to see the plan in place for you! Big guns are how you get the job done, right?

St Petersburg and Crete sound wonderful! (as does the red wine!)