Tuesday, April 24, 2007

All is quiet on the western front

Considering how anxious I was feeling I slept really well last night and when I woke up this morning I felt a strange calm, not nervous at all.

We headed off for the hospital, with plenty of time to spare but then got stuck in a traffic jam….grrrr. I was kicking myself and thinking we must give ourselves even more time next appointment. The hospital is about 25 minutes away so I should be grateful of that as I know lots of people travel hundreds of miles backwards and forwards to their hospitals. Anyway we made it just in time to get to the admissions office to part with £2500 (gulp) and head off to the fertility suite for the scan.

I saw Lovely Nurse Jane as soon as we arrived but this time we were seen by Gill. Whirlwind Gill…..she ran through the instructions for the new drugs at break neck speed. Break this, mix this, inject this, wipe this. My glamorous assistant’s other half's pen was nearly on fire trying to keep up with all the note taking.

Before I really knew where we were she had her magic wand out and up my tuppence (sorry Dad, but I said things might get a bit graphic). Anyway the good news is that my uterus looks ‘lovely’?!* and is in the right place….well I suppose it’s a relief its not under my left armpit!

She then set about looking for my ovaries…”mmmm I cant find them”, “well they were there in October when I had an operation”…where on earth could they be hiding I thought…..perhaps they were under my left armpit instead? Anyway, low and behold the little gems popped up on the screen one at a time and all looked good.

She also mentioned it was normal to have a longer period when starting the down regulating drugs (pheww) and that all my insides were soundly asleep.

Stimulating drugs start 1st May…one hurdle down…many more to go……but smiling a bit more today.

I can breathe again…..for now

10 comments:

Nicole said...

Scary that she couldn't find your ovaries right away. I can picture the little buggers with their little suitcases catching the next train to armpitville. Crafty little guys, i must say. Good luck with your meds, etc.

JJ said...

So glad you are smiling more today--I know that the anxiety of it all can be TOO much--sounds like all is in great working order=) You are one step closer my friend=) Smiles for you today=)=)

ultimatejourney said...

Hey hon, I'm so glad everything went well. You had me laughing out loud with all the armpit talk -- I guess maybe I'm stuck in 5th grade or something :) Anyway, enjoy some breathing time before the excitement of stims starts up!

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I am glad that you are feeling better today. Weird that she couldn't find your ovaries. I am glad that they weren't in your armpits. :-) Good luck with the stims!

JW said...

Awesome news, so damn exciting Becks!! Before you know it you'll be shooting up and on your way. I can't wait to read about all your lovely follies and then your BFP. X

Anonymous said...

My ovaries are really high up and they always have a hard time finding them. I can point to exactly where they are - they don't move, they are stuck to things with adhesions.

Glad all is going well with the drugs so far!

singletracey said...

Hello my dear! SOO glad the ovaries were still there! Just as you start your stims, I get my eggs withdrawn! The meds haven't been bad at all and I was surprised at how well I did giving myself the shots. I see BFP's in our future!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear things are quiet, your ute looks good and is soundly in your abdomen, and that your ovaries reappeared! Sounds like you are good to go!

Woohoo!

Mama Bear said...

Don't you love when they have to go rooting around to find the ovaries and follies? Like it's the most pleasant thing in the world. *sigh*

Glad that you're all set to start on May1! Wishing you the very best for this upcoming cycle!

Sarah said...

sounds like you're off to a great start! best of luck to you this cycle.