Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Superstition gone mad?


As I mentioned in my ‘I AM’ post, my best friend is Polish, she’s been in England for a few years now but regularly goes back to see her family in Kielce. I spent New Years Eve 2005 there, and I loved it……funny stories of her Other Half being sick in the snow (too much NYE frivolity)….but that’s a story for another day.

Anyway, she went to Poland at Easter as she needed emergency dental treatment (and the English dental system is not great) so she flew back to get things sorted.

Now Easter is a big celebration in Poland, it’s on a par with Christmas in some respects and one of the features are painted eggs which the families make themselves. These
'pisanki' are an essential part of the Polish Easter table, and on Easter Saturday, families dressed in their best glad rags will take little baskets to church, complete with the pisanki eggs and many other traditional Easter symbols.

The baskets are then blessed in the church a custom known as 'swiecone' (literally 'blessed')

Easter Sunday revolves around the home, and food that was blessed in church the previous day is consumed in an elaborate extended family breakfast, often involving a dash of alcohol! Whayhey I'm up for that!

Anyway, my friend beautifully decorated some eggs for me, took them to the church, had them blessed and then brought them back to England for me. How sweet is she?

So ever since they arrived, I have kept them in my medical bag (in a protective box of course) and they have made every one of the trips to the hospital.

Since Tuesday they have a new playmate. Lara, kindly sent me a great fertility stone as part of the Braces Bunch fun. Lara mentioned that the reiki master that blessed the stones said that anything egg shaped is also good for fertility. Get boiling some eggs girls and wear them as necklaces, it might look strange but who cares?! :-)

So tonight I am going to pack my hospital bag and all my special good luck charms....I do hope they will bring us some luck in this stuttering cycle.

19 comments:

Kate said...

M's family is Polish and I have always loved those eggs! I hope the stone and the eggs bring you some luck!

Tam said...

Sounds like a good idea, I used to walk around with crystals in my bra!! Maybe it's time to pull them out again :) Almost time, how those ovaries feeling??

One View said...

Wow those eggs are beautiful and how nice of your friend to do that for you. One of my good friends went to Lourdes last year and the place is famous for the miraculous powers of the water. She prayed for me and brought me back healing water from there. I'm not a huge religious person but I was touched she was thinking of me. Isn't it nice when our friends do such sweet things?? I hope it brings you some good luck.. :) Keep us posted.. :)

ultimatejourney said...

Wow, that's so sweet. And the eggs are beautiful. I hope yours turn out to be just as perfect.

JJ said...

Haha, I like the idea of boiling an egg and wearing it around my neck---hmmm, Ill have to think on that one!
The eggs are beautiful-and how thoughtful! I love the stone Lara sent us too!
Hope all these things bring you luck-thinking about you!!

Caro said...

I've been walking around with my stone in my pocket since I got it. Can't hurt, can it?

Unknown said...

matthew m.f. miller says:What a cool gesture.

The bass player in my band is Polish, and I love listening to her talk.

Best of luck to you - this was a really nice post.

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

Those eggs are gorgeous. Good luck tomorrow!

Mama Bear said...

they are so beautiful! That was so sweet of her!

Good luck tomorrow--I'll be hoping for you and sending you all the positive thoughts I have! Let us know how everything goes. :-)

Pamela T. said...

Wishing you all the best for a positive outcome! Will be thinking good thoughts for you.

singletracey said...

thinking of you and hopeing tomorrow goes well!! Good luck charms are the best... I brought one with me when I had my transfer :-) It worked .. next time I will just hold onto it tighter and longer :-)

xoxox

Laura, the (reluctant) baroness said...

Indeed, beautiful eggs! As I am sure yours will be tomorrow :) Best of luck!!

Changing Expectations said...

Those eggs are beautiful! What a nice idea. I hope that they bring you luck!!

JW said...

The eggs are beautiful. And I'm so glad to see that your cycle is going ahead and that your follies are doing well. Good luck for your pickup (today!), I'll be pulling for you! x

Jen said...

thinking of you for tomorrow morning, many good thoughts and positive wishes...

Anonymous said...

I hope those good luck charms bring you exactly what you need!

Carrie said...

Thinking of you.

Eggs for eggs. That's a great idea. The Polish eggs are beautiful.

I'nn need to look for some egg shaped object!

I can't believe I'm so on edge for you. Isn't it bizarre to hope so hard for someone you've never met? Nonetheless I'm hoping and thinking. x

Portia P said...

Oh good luck Becks. I do hope it all goes well for you today. Those eggs are gorgeous.
xx

Sarah said...

Best of luck with retrieval today!